Psychology info: Depression

woman-2912367_1280

According to the World Health Organisation, Media Centre Depression Fact Sheet – February 2017:

300 million people worldwide suffer from a form of depression.

  • PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
  • Post-natal /partum Depression
  • Bipolar Affective Disorder
  • Recurrent Depressive Disorder
  • Generalised Anxiety Disorder – mood disorders
  • Suicidal tendancies

are some of the types of depression suffered by people daily.

Depression represents 99% of all mind-brain illnesses with the remaining 1% being made up of major psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia.

In most cases sufferers have difficulty with sleeping, anxiety symptoms and appetite. They also suffer a loss of interest in enjoyable activities, depleted energy levels, difficulty with completing simple every-day tasks, feelings of low-self esteem, feelings of guilt, feelings of apathy, poor concentration and other medical symptoms caused by their feelings. Severe cases will render the person unable to work and can lead to repetitive suicidal thoughts.

Depression can affect anyone of any age, class, ethnicity, or gender. It can also be a silent illness that others around do not initially recognise. How many times have we heard stories about loved-ones discovering a person close to them has been admitted to hospital with a nervous breakdown, are taking anti-depressant medication or have taken their own life?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s